Summer weekends are almost over. Up here in the Northeast, We want to enjoy the patio and grill as much as possible before it’s time to shovel snow. Forget hotdogs and hamburgers – celebrate National Fajita Day (August 18th) instead! Fajitas are an effortless and delicious way to entertain friends. Plus you can get your friends and family in on the prep. They can help slice, dice and grate while sipping on something cold. Arrange everything buffet style and let everyone build their meal. Fajitas are also a great weeknight meal for the whole family – the fixings can all be assembled ahead of time and the chicken can be grilled while everyone settles in. Put on some Latin tunes and you’ve got yourself a fiesta.
Fajita Chicken Salad (Serves 8)
Marinade / Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (these have more flavor than skinless breasts)
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 5 bell peppers (any color) sliced vertically
- 2 big vidalia onions sliced vertically
- 4-5 portabella mushrooms (sliced in same shape as peppers and onions)
- 1-2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 avocados diced
- 3 cups freshly grated and best quality aged sharp cheddar cheese (pre-grated cheddar will do if there’s no time to grate)
- 2 -3 cups salsa
- any leafy greens – a huge bowl about (3 cups per person)
- Chili oil to drizzle on (optional) for those who want more spice!
- Tortilla chips (plus more salsa for dipping)
- Combine chicken and marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag.
- Let set in fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and grill or roast. Let cool on a serving platter.
- Toss peppers, onions, and mushrooms with olive oil and smoked sea salt. Grill or roast until tender and slightly charred. Cool on serving platter.
- Arrange all your fixings on a buffet table alongside your chicken and roasted veggies.
- Invite everyone to make their own Faijta chicken bowls!
Don’t forget the beverages:
- Corona with sliced lime served in the bottle
- Chilled white wine (my favorites is White Burgundy)
- Vodka & soda
- Seltzer and lime
For more ways to eat well and have fun sign up for our newsletter
PS- coming soon: #Drive to Thrive Over 45 ….What is it? A program to
to help women nearing & over 40 gain control of their fitness and nutrition-
for good !